Photo by Michael Graydon & Nikole Herriott, Prop Styling by Kalen Kaminski, Food Styling by Susie Theodorou
You may need to mound the berries up higher in the center than the edges in order to get them all to fit.
- 8 servings
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 lb. strawberries or other berries, hulled, halved if large
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Extra-Flaky Pastry Dough
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (for serving; optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine cornstarch,lemon zest, salt, pepper (if using), and 1/3 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Toss with your hands to combine, then add strawberries and toss to coat. Add lemon juice and vanilla; toss gently.
- Arrange berry mixture in the center of chilled dough (still on parchment on baking sheet) and spread out evenly, leaving a 3" border. Fold edges of dough up and over fruit, pleating as needed and being careful that folded edge of dough doesn’t tear (if it does, patch with dough scraps and pinch to seal). Pour cream into a small bowl and brush all over dough. Sprinkle sugar evenly over dough.
- Place galette in oven and immediately reduce heat to 375°F. Bake, rotating halfway through, until crust is deep golden brown everywhere, berries are softened, and juices are bubbling, 45–50 minutes. Let cool 2 hours. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
Source: Read Full Article