Active time:45 min. Total time:2 hours
Yield: Serves 10 (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups lasagna, 1 cup salad)
Greek salad and lasagna work well as individual entities, and together they meld together in a family friendly, big ol’ plate of food. Sharp flavors from olives, feta, red pepper and red wine vinegar liven up an otherwise classic dish. We used olives from the bar at Whole Foods—if you use brine jarred olives, you may want to reduce the amount so it doesn’t overpower the rest of the dish. Use bell peppers that are the same size so they’ll finish cooking at the same time. You can make this ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days—if you cook from cold, you’ll need to increase the cooking time. For nice clean cuts on the lasagna, let it rest for an hour before cutting it.
- 2(6-oz. each) yellow bell peppers
- 2(6-oz. each red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chopped frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 cups cups (about 10 oz.) chopped pitted olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 16uncooked lasagna noodles
- 3 1/2 cups marinara sauce (from 1 [32-oz.] jar)
- 10 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 10 ounces pre-shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2romaine lettuce hearts, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced English cucumber (from 1 [5-oz.] cucumber)
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 oz.) halved grape tomatoes
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
How to Make It
Prepare the Lasagna: Preheat oven to high broil with rack 8 inches from heat source. Coat bell peppers evenly in oil. Place on a baking sheet, and broil in preheated oven until charred, 12 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let cool 15 minutes. Remove and discard skins and seeds. Cut bell pepper flesh into 1/2-inch-thick strips. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F.
Wring thawed spinach over a sink to remove excess moisture. Place spinach in a bowl, and add bell pepper strips and olives. Stir gently to combine. Stir together oregano, salt, and crushed red pepper in a separate small bowl. Set bowls aside until ready to use.
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil over high. Add noodles; cook 5 minutes (noodles will not be fully cooked). Drain; rinse under cold water until cool. Drain.
Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce in bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking dish. Top with 4 noodles. Layer with one-third of the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup each of the feta, mozzarella, and ricotta. Sprinkle with one-third of the oregano mixture.
Spread with 1 cup of the marinara sauce, and top with 4 noodles. Layer with one-third of the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup each of the feta, mozzarella, and ricotta. Sprinkle with one-third of the oregano mixture.
To make the next group of layers, repeat Step 5.
Top with remaining 4 noodles. Spread noodles with remaining 1 cup sauce; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup each feta and mozzarella.
Cover with aluminum foil; bake in preheated oven 40 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
When ready to serve, prepare the Salad: Whisk together vinegar, oregano, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Toss together lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and vinegar dressing in a large bowl. Arrange Salad on top of Lasagna. Sprinkle Salad with feta.
Source: Read Full Article