"Recently the internet went wild for a delicious Mississippi pot roast wherein beef is braised in a slow cooker with butter, pepperoncini, and packets of powdered au jus gravy and ranch dressing. Guessing that the MSG from the latter two ingredients explained all the rage, I decided to mimic the flavors using from-scratch seasonings and boneless short ribs. It came out really well, especially when served over mashed potatoes with a garnish of parsley."
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Season short ribs with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Add short ribs and sear until well browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer beef to a baking dish.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion and mushrooms to the pan. Season with salt. Saute until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, dill, rosemary, thyme, and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle seasoning mixture evenly over the beef.
- Sprinkle flour over the onion and mushrooms. Stir to coat and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Pour mixture over the beef and cover with pepperoncini. Place butter on top. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until meat is fork-tender and falls apart easily, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Spoon sauce from the bottom of the pan onto the beef to serve. Skim off excess fat as desired.
- Chef’s Notes:
- The pieces of short rib I used, which were really just neatly cut pieces of super-marbled chuck, where nice and thick, which means if yours aren’t, you’ll have to adjust the cooking time.
- The original recipe calls for a few whole pepperoncini, which in hindsight, probably would have worked out better. I used 1/3 cup of sliced peppers, and their intense briny taste almost made this seem too salty. So, like I said in the video, if you do use the sliced ones, be careful not to overdo it.
Per Serving: 386 calories;34.1 g fat;4.5 g carbohydrates;14.9 g protein;75 mg cholesterol;968 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article