Active time:25 min.Total time:35 min.
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
If you love ramen, you’ll love this casserole. It’s got that rich, comfort-food vibe, all while feeling like an upgraded college microwaveable ramen. The smoke from the pork and nori, combined with rich hits of mushrooms, egg, and bamboo add a lot of depths to instant noodles. You can find smoked pork near ham cubes, which is in the meat section by the chicken, or you can get it prepared in the deli. For an upgrade, grab pulled pork from your favorite barbecue place—it’ll be worth the extra deliciousness.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 2(6-in.) square nori (dried seaweed) sheets, torn into small pieces
- 1(8-oz.) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock, divided
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 10 ounces shredded smoked pork shoulder
- 9 ounces instant ramen noodles, broken into 2-in. pieces (from 3 [3-oz.] pkg.)
- 4soft-cooked eggs (boiled 6 1/2 minutes), peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (from 2 scallions)
- 1 teaspoon shichimi (nanami) togarashi
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to wilt, about 4 minutes. Stir in nori and bamboo; cook, undisturbed, 1 minute.
Whisk flour and 1/2 cup of the stock in a small bowl until smooth. Add remaining 3 1/2 cups stock to mushroom mixture in skillet; bring to a boil over medium-high. Add flour mixture, soy sauce, and salt. Let mixture come to a simmer; simmer, stirring often, 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in pork.
Arrange ramen noodles in an 11- x 7-inch casserole dish. Pour pork mixture over the top. Bake in preheated oven until bubbly, about 15 minutes.
Arrange eggs over casserole; sprinkle with scallions and togarashi.
Source: Read Full Article