Photo by William Meppem, Chris Court, Con Poulos, Anson Smart
The sour cherry relish can be used in a similar way to cranberry sauce. Its tart, fruity flavor is perfect with pork, but it’s also great with ham or turkey.
- Makes 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 500g frozen pitted sour cherries
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) orange liqueur
- 1⁄3 cup (80ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Place the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and thyme and cook for 1–2 minutes or until just golden. Add the cherries, orange rind, liqueur, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to the boil and cook for 30–35 minutes or until reduced and glossy. Allow to cool completely at room temperature.
Source: Read Full Article