- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110-120°F), about 1 minute in microwave
- Or 1 cup warm water if 1 cup sourdough
- 2 tablespoons instant or rapid rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups gluten-free flour (or 2 cups flour, 1 cup sourdough)
- 1 tablespoon xantham gum
- 2 teaspoons kosher or fine sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, finely cubed,
- plus a small amount for sprinkling on top (about 8 oz total)
- 2 large jalapeno, plus leftover from sliced jalapeno, chopped
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (don't need this?)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- To add in the last 10-15 minutes of baking:
- 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 thin slices of jalapeño
Measure out yeast and let it come to room temperature. Take eggs out of the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature.
Combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water in a bowl about twice the size of the mixture and whisk to dissolve the sugar. Let sit until it is foamy and doubled in size, 5-6 minutes.
Combine flour (and sourdough), salt and xantham gum in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with regular paddle (NOT dough hook). Mix to combine. Add cheese and jalapeno and mix until well coated.
Add the yeast mixture, eggs, and vinegar to the dry ingredients and mix on low to combine. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl once. Turn the mixer to medium and mix for 3 minutes.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 60 minutes, or until doubled in size. Can put in fridge. At this point, the dough could be placed in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
Dump dough into Dutch oven (mixture will be sticky; do not knead) and smooth top with a wet hand. Cut 1-inch deep slits into the top of the dough to allow the steam to escape.
Put the lid on and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and sprinkle the top of the loaf with grated cheddar and jalapeño slices, and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until golden and crisp. Carefully remove the pot from the oven, remove the loaf and place on a cooling rack to cool. Best enjoyed warm, fresh from the oven.
Source: Read Full Article