Active Time: 25 MinsTotal Time25 Mins
Yield: Serves 4
This fast and fresh seafood salad is a great meal for lazy beach days or busy weeknights. Choose fresh, not frozen, scallops for the best results. Can’t find Little Gem lettuce? Substitute mixed baby greens or chopped romaine lettuce.
- 1/4 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic (from 1 small garlic clove)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound bay scallops, drained
- 12(6-inch) wooden skewers
- 1medium-size firm ripe mango, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick planks (about 1 cup)
- 5 ounces (about 8 heads) Little Gem lettuce, separated into leaves (5 cups)
- 1medium-size ripe avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (1/2 cup)
- 1small radish, thinly sliced (1/3 cup)
How to Make It
Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, tarragon, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle oil into mixture, whisking constantly, until combined.
Measure 2 tablespoons of buttermilk dressing into a medium bowl. (Reserve the remaining dressing for serving.) Add scallops to bowl, and toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature 10 minutes. Thread scallops onto skewers (about 5 per skewer). Discard marinade.
Preheat a gas grill to high (450°F to 500°F). Place mango planks on oiled grates. Grill, uncovered, until slightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove mango from grill; cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside. Re-oil grates; place scallop skewers on grill. Grill, uncovered, until charred, about 1 minute per side.
Line a platter with lettuce. Top with mango, avocado, radish, and scallop skewers. Sprinkle salad with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with reserved dressing, and serve immediately.
Source: Read Full Article