- Total: 55 min
- Active: 25 min
- Yield:4 servings
Onion and Mushroom Gravy:
- For the hamburger steaks: Whisk together the mustard, smoked paprika, egg, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Mix in the ground beef and breadcrumbs by hand, then form into 4 oval patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Set a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the patties and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the patties to a plate; set aside.
- For the onion and mushroom gravy: Turn the heat down to medium and add the mushrooms and thyme. Cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and are browned, about 8 minutes. (The mushrooms might seem dry at first, but will eventually release liquid and add moisture to the pan.) Transfer the mushrooms to a plate; set aside.
- Melt the butter in the pan, add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, until the butter and liquid are absorbed, about 1 minute. Pour the broth and Worcestershire into the pan and stir until the flour is dissolved.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir the mushrooms back into the pan and nestle in the beef patties. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to medium low. Let simmer until the sauce has thickened and a thermometer inserted into the patties registers 165 degrees F, about 10 minutes.
- Turn the patties over a few times to coat in the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and top with the parsley.
Source: Read Full Article