Payyoli chicken fry, a dry chicken fry with the authentic malabar flavours. This delicious chicken fry is very popular in Payyoli, which is a place situated in North Malabar coast of Calicut,Kerala. The chicken is marinated with dried red chilli paste and many flavourful spices, deep fried in coconut oil and served with crispy and spicy fried coconut, curry leaves and green chillies. Let’s check out the recipe!
- 1 . Chicken – 1/2 kg (cleaned and cut into medium pieces)
- 2 .Kashmiri red chilli paste – 3tbspn(preparation is given below)
- 3 . Ginger paste – 2 tspn
- 4 . Meat masala – 2 tspn
- 5 . Vinegar – 2 and 1/2 tbspn
- 6 . Some curry leaves
- 7 . Coconut oil – 1 tspn
- 8 . Salt to taste
- 9 . Coconut Oil for frying
- For Marinate grated coconut:
- 1 . Grated coconut – 1 cup
- 2 . Kashmiri red chilli paste – 1 tbspn
- 3 . Some curry leaves
- 4 . Meat masala – 1/2 tspn
- 5 . Ginger paste – 1 tspn
- 6 . Green chilli – 2 sliced
For making Kashmiri chilli paste :
Boil 15 Kashmiri red chilli for about 15 – 20 minutes. Switch off the flame and strain it. Cool Kashmiri red chilli completely and grind into fine paste.
Marinate the grated coconut with the above ingredients and keep it aside.
In a bowl, add Kashmiri red chilli paste, ginger paste, meat masala, vinegar, salt, some curry leaves and coconut oil. Combine well.
Then add chicken pieces and mix well. Let it stay for 1 hour or more.
Heat coconut oil, add marinated chicken pieces. Deep fry till cooked and chicken turns slightly crispy. Keep aside.
Add the marinated grated coconut to oil and deep fry till golden in colour. Take care not to burn the coconut.
Serve the chicken with fried coconut -curryleaves – greenchilli mix on top.
Tasty and delicious payyoli chicken fry is ready to be served.
– Be careful while frying coconut. It may burn fast. Keep on stirring till it turns light golden colour on high flame. Take out of the oil and strain excess oil from it.
– Make sure that the dried red chillies are the Kashmiri variety. The other ones would be very spicy.
Source: Read Full Article