- Total: 1 hr 35 min
- Active: 1 hr 5 min
- Yield:8 servings
Sweet Hot Maple Glaze:
Try this cooking class now
Try this cooking class nowWatch Class
- For the glaze: Combine the honey, maple syrup, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, vinegar, cayenne and salt in a small saucepot. Bring just to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let steep for 20 minutes, then strain into a clean container.
- For the waffles: Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and place a rack in the middle of the oven. Place a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack in the oven.
- Whisk together the flour, Cheddar, sugar, baking powder, hot sauce, scallion whites and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the eggs and a pinch of salt until just broken up, then add the milk and whisk. Pour in the melted butter and whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until the flour is just incorporated and no streaks remain (the batter may have a few lumps).
- Preheat a Belgian waffle iron to medium heat according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Spray with nonstick cooking spray, add some batter, close the lid, and cook until the steam starts to diminish (open the top and peek for doneness after a few minutes). Transfer the waffle to the wire rack in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter to make 8 waffles.
- For the chicken: Pour 5-inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 360 degrees F.
- Place the chicken thighs and buttermilk in a bowl. In a separate bowl, add the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper and salt, and mix to combine. Dredge each thigh in the flour mix, then shake off any excess flour and carefully place in the oil. Fry until golden, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the chicken to a paper bag or paper towels to drain excess grease and immediately season with salt.
- Place each piece of fried chicken on top of a waffle and top each with some glaze and scallion greens to serve.
Source: Read Full Article