Active Time: 30 MINTotal Time40 MIN
Yield: Serves : 8 to 10
This refreshing salad features bright cherry vinegar and sweet roasted cherry juice. Earthy, spice-filled dukkah grounds the flavors and adds a nutty crunch.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pitted dark sweet cherries (about 11 ounces), thawed
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup cherry vinegar (such as Pojer e Sandri) or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 head red cabbage, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced on a mandoline (about 6 cups)
- 3 apples (such as Honeycrisp, Red Delicious, or Gala), quartered, cored, and thinly sliced on a mandoline (about 5 cups)
- Almond Dukkah
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries, for garnish
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 330°F. Stir together cherries, sherry vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small baking dish; spread in a single layer. Bake in preheated oven until cherries are tender and infused with vinegar mixture, 12 to 16 minutes. Set cherries aside.
Whisk together cherry vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons honey in a small bowl until well blended.
Just before serving, toss together cabbage, apples, roasted cherries and 2 tablespoons roasted cherry juice, cherry vinaigrette, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. (Save remaining roasted cherry juice for another use.) Transfer salad to a large serving platter, and sprinkle with almond dukkah. Garnish with dried cherries. Serve immediately.
Cherry vinegar is available from from markethallfoods.com.
Source: Read Full Article